Brushing the teeth is an activity that we perform on a daily basis. But, have you ever asked yourself whether you’ve been brushing them correctly, or the whole process has become so automated that you don’t even pay attention anymore?
No matter what your answer may be, we are here to bring the beautiful simile back on your face.
Before we delve into the crucial steps of brushing, it’s important to mention that the toothbrush and the toothpaste are the most important components of the brushing process.
Usually, a fluoride toothpaste is the best choice, because it will effectively remove the plaque and will protect the enamel. Also, there are many varieties of toothbrushes that we’ll address to them later.
Jump to: 5 Steps to a Healthy Smile
- Choosing and applying the toothpaste – Once you get the right brush and toothpaste, you should squeeze a small amount of the toothpaste onto the brush and usually a bean-sized amount is more than enough. If you apply too much of it, it may cause you to spit too often, or to swallow more of it, which can be pretty unhealthy.
- Position the toothbrush at an angle of 45 degrees – Once the toothpaste is applied, try to hold the toothbrush horizontally at a 45-degree angle. That will enable you to reach every spot better. You should brush every tooth with vertical motions, and it’s not recommended to brush across them.
- Brush the teeth for approximately 2 minutes – Your teeth should be brushed for at least 2-3 minutes. The ideal way is to carefully and thoroughly clean only a few of them at a time, and it’s useful to divide them into four parts and brush each section for about 30-40 seconds. Also, be sure to wash each part of their surface, such as the molars and their inner side.
See our brush basics how-to-guide.
- Rinse the mouth – Once you are done, it’s time for rinsing. There a lot of debates whether rinsing is necessary because it may reduce the fluoride’s efficiency. However, there are no significant proves of that. Therefore, if you decide to rinse your mouth, you should take a sip of water, swoosh it and spit it. Also, put the toothbrush under the water and let it run through the bristles, so that any toothpaste residual is washed.
- Teeth Whiteners – We all want to have that beautiful white smile. There are a few ways you can achieve them. Brushing daily is one way but also using a recommended whitening gels or top teeth whitener kits are very effective as well. It’s always recommended to ask you dentists, or first to test it on one of your teeth. Reading online reviews will benefit you as well as you can learn a lot from users who already tried some of these.
Learn more about following:
Brushing your teeth’s of utmost importance because that’s the only way that the plaque, the bacteria, and any leftover food will be removed, and that’ll keep the breath fresh. Also, it’ll protect you from any gum disease, cavity and in the worst case scenario, it’ll save you from tooth loss.
If you’re using fluoride toothpaste, then it’ll additionally strengthen the teeth’s enamel, and it’ll make them more resistant to decay. Last, but not least, it will remove any stains and will keep the nice, aesthetic look that will contribute to an irresistible smile.
Learn more about: Fluoride: How Does It Work?
There are a lot of brushes that are designed to satisfy different preferences. You can choose from the vast array of electric and regular ones with soft or medium bristles and many other features.
However, it is recommended by dentists to use a toothbrush with soft bristles to not harm your gums and cause any discomfort. Also, it’s good to use a brush with bristles of varying heights, because they will more readily clean each spot that’s hard-to-reach.
Read our recommended brushes: Best Electric Toothbrush Reviews for 2018
Having good oral health and a nice simile is probably a number one priority for all of us. Therefore, it’s crucial to know the proper steps of the way of achieving that.
We hope that we have managed to give you a better insight on the proper way of washing your teeth and what is the right toothbrush and toothpaste that should serve you at their finest along the way.